Believe it or not, I have a Mac and yes, I am using it with OS X, even if its seem that I am Linux addicted. So having that said I would like to provide you some information regarding my tests of the new MacOS 10.10 Yosemite. First of all to test it, I’ve acquired a few weeks ago a beta-tester account from Apple . While a public beta is quite unusual for Apple, Apple has limited the amount of beta-users to 1 million. Side note: the last public beta was aroud 14 years ago, when Apple tested the first release of Mac OS X.
So, with the account, I was able to login and to retreive a download code from the iTunes store. What followed was a 5GB download, heating up my internet connection. The download is followed by another waiting session, since the new MacOS version has to installed somehow. Enclosed I tried to list all pros & cons by highlighting my user experience as well as issues/problems occured during testing.
User Experience with MacOS 10.10:
- So first start, the user interface looks much cleaner from my point of view. There is much more transparency in place, new icons and the window frames including the minimize, maximize and close button are much more… minimalistic, in a positive way.
- The notification center has been redone and is really useful as of now. It seems that it will replace the Dashboard at some point in time.
- Overall the system performance seems to be gone down.
Now we come to the dark side of the moon.
Issues and problems which occured during testing:
- When I started up a few of my applications didn’t work. as it seems that my Java Runtime was gone. Therefore you need to download the JRE from the website. Actually after a few additional problems I decided to switch to JRE 8u20, which is still a pre-release, but much more stable .
- VMware Fusion 5.0.4 ist not starting anymore with the notice that the version of OS X is not working. The reason why it is not working seems to be that OS X Yosemite uses a new hypevisor. At this point I would like to refer to check frequently , to see if a updated version of VMware Fusion is released.
[2014/07/31] Update : With the prerelease of VMware I was able to install VMware and start up my virtual machines. Neither the less it is a pitty, since I paid for the 5.0.4 licence, which is not usable anymore.
- The Security settings has not been overtaken from the previous version, therefore some of my apps could not be started based on a missing trust. After a change in Security and allowing to download apps without restriction, this issue has been fixed.
- I had formally some problems with Mail – in concrete with my GMail account. When I moved mails from one folder to another, the mails partly popped up in my inbox again or simply did not move. This issue seems to be okay now, but now it happens that my Mail is crashing from time to time.
[2014/08/21] Update: After installing the Yosemite Public Beta 2 , the system seems to be overall more stable. Also new to me is the installation dialog, where you’ve been ask if you would like to use the iCloud, filesystem encryption and so on.
[2014/09/09] Update: So after my desaster with the FileVault as described in , I finally managed to fix this issue. Furthermore VmWare Fusion 7  has been released which is now officially supporting OS X Yosemite. Still missing is the link to the app store for the apps in the message center – it’s still producing a “Your request produced an error”. Other bugs issues I’ve reported within the Feedback Center so far has been:
- iPhoto crasehd when trying to export whole libary (reproducable)
- The FileVault encryption hangs and produced a high CPU load and energy consumtion
- The feedback assistent crashed (there was recently an update – so I guess this might be fixed already)
- Mail crashed from time to time (not sure about the root cause of this issue)
Definitely a new thing to me has was a broken screen which I got recently. Old school I’ve done a screenshot with my mobile phone, as you can see below.
Important Note: This post is updated frequently based upon new experiences/issues/problems, so please check in regards to new sections/points.